A new Conservative government will prioritize the Massey Tunnel replacement
October 3, 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Surrey, BC – Kerry-Lynne Findlay, Conservative Candidate for South Surrey-White Rock, praised Andrew Scheer’s announcement earlier this week that a Conservative government would fund the replacement of the Massey Tunnel.
“Residents of South Surrey-White Rock are sick of being stuck in tunnel traffic,” said Findlay. “This commitment will ensure that this project gets completed - which will reduce congestion and reduce traffic times for everyone, whether driving or using public transit.”
Scheer and Findlay pointed out how, despite making a $187-billion infrastructure spending commitment in the 2015 election, Justin Trudeau has failed to deliver important projects for Canadian commuters.
“He’s made billions in promises but hasn’t delivered. When it comes to getting shovels in the ground and getting projects built, Justin Trudeau is not as advertised,” Scheer said.
Scheer added, “As Prime Minister, I will ensure that all infrastructure projects that have already been committed to will move forward. Going forward, a new Conservative government will have a strategy in place to prioritize future transportation projects on whether they lower commute times and also provide more housing options for Canadians.”
“If given four more years, Justin Trudeau’s debt and never-ending deficits will delay badly needed infrastructure, threatening the future of important projects like the George Massey Tunnel replacement,” concluded Findlay.
- Statistics Canada found that 1.5 million Canadians spent at least an hour commuting to work in 2016.
- According to the Parliamentary Budget Officer (PBO), for every dollar Justin Trudeau promised for infrastructure, he only spent 60 cents: “the Government failed to spend about 40 percent of its planned infrastructure budget.”
- Analysis showed that for all his spending, there are no substantial results to show for it.
- In its analysis of Budget 2018, the PBO reported: “Budget 2018 provides an incomplete account of the changes to the Government’s $186.7 billion infrastructure spending plan. PBO requested the new plan but it does not exist.”